Sunday, May 26, 2013

#14- We want it all!




This ad is pretty simple for a modern ad. It isn’t a super busy ad, and it doesn’t have a prominent color scheme. The one thing it does have, though, is size.

Everything in this advertisement is huge. There isn’t much in this advertisement, but size makes up for it. The page looks nearly filled with the large-sized pictures of makeup and the oversized text. However, it grabs your attention. Everything about this ad is yelling “Look at me!!” Honestly, it’s working. When I flipped through a magazine, this ad caught my eye because I instantly knew what the product was. I didn’t have to search for a small picture or  dig through the text for important information. Everything was right there.

The first thing that the viewer sees in the product. It catches their attention and makes them think “Ooooh, makeup!” The next thing that see is the text at the top of the page. It read “blush, bronze, shimmer… why not have it all?” This, of course, is also in huge font. It stands out and catches the viewer’s eye. It made me think “I want it all! How do I get it all?” This intrigued me, so I took another second to look at the ad. This is exactly was the company wants! They want to keep people’s attention for long enough to sell their product. The next thing that caught my eye was the strip at the bottom, which reads “Professional makeup starting at just $1.” This is the line that is most important for the viewer to read. The company wants the viewer to acknowledge the super low prices, that way, they will go to the store and buy them.

Overall, I think that this ad is only semi-effective. I believe that this ad does a wonderful job at catching and holding the viewer’s attention. It also sells the product. However, the brand name of the product is actually difficult to find. I actually had to work to find the logo or name! This seems like poor advertising because I would just go to the store and buy random makeup, not knowing whether or not is was the correct one. If the company had put their logo in a more visible and memorable place, I believe that this ad would have been much more effective.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the brand name can be hard to find. But is that "Elf" I see in the lower right corner? I think the main purpose of the ad is to attract people to Target for its make up. Whether this was the smartest use of full-page ad, I am not sure. But it definitely attracts attention.

    ReplyDelete