Sunday, May 5, 2013

#5- Eco-Friendly Hair? Only if it shines!




As I sat, patiently waiting to get my hair cut, I decided to flip through a magazine. This is an ad I found. As I looked closer, I thought “who wouldn’t want hair like that? I surely do.”

Everything about this ad stands out. The first thing that caught my attention was all of the bright colors. The first think you see is a bright green color that’s contrasts with the sky blue background and the bright blonde hair that the model has. It really grabs your eye. Next, you notice the words. On the top right, it says “Pure health weightless shine.” That sounds pretty good to me! Only, I’m not exactly sure what they mean. However, that doesn’t matter very much once the notice the model’s hair. It looks incredible! It’s voluminous, shiny, and not a single hair is out of place. Once you see how awesome, her hair is, it doesn’t matter if all of the words aren’t understood. If my hair looked like that, I wouldn’t care at all!

The next thing that caught my eye was the little splash of red at the bottom. It stands out because it’s the only red thing in the entire picture. I assume the red is there to draw your attention to the words that are right next door (It worked!). It says “Pure Clean.” While I still don’t know what that means, I kept on reading.

It states that it has 92% Biodegradable Formulas with Acerola berry antioxidant, no heavy silicones, and no dulling residues. Let’s start with the 92% Biodegradable formula. That sounds really good! While it isn’t 100%, it’s still better than a whole lot of other shampoos. Plus, when I use it, I can feel eco-friendly! Next is the Acerola berry antioxidant. I have no idea what that is. Not one clue. However, it sounds natural, and natural is good, right? Then, we move on to no heavy silicones. I also don’t know what that means. Isn’t silicon the stuff they use for plastic surgery? Also, what’s the difference between a heavy silicone and a normal silicone? Is there a light silicone? Don’t ask me! Then there’s no dulling residue. Of course there’s no dulling residue! Would her hair be that shiny if there was?

Lastly, I saw the globe towards the bottom of the page. Underneath the globe, it reads “The strength to shine.” Umm… okay? Thanks, Garnier! I don’t see how this fits in with the rest of the advertisement. Yes, the model’s hair is very shiny after using Garnier Fructis Pure Clean shampoo. However, that isn’t really strength, is it? It’s more… shopping choices? So I don’t really see how that works.

Overall, I thought that this ad was very effective. It not only caught the viewers attention, but also drew them in far enough to keep reading. I probably won’t buy this shampoo, but not for lack of reason. I just tend to stick to the cheap brand. However, if I were very concerned about the shininess of my hair, I would definitely look into buying this shampoo.

(5-5-13)

1 comment:

  1. This ad sure is an attention grabber. Like you, my eyes were drawn to the little splash of red because it is bright and the only red of the page. I also then looked at the little box right next to it, and just though" What the heck do these words mean?" I know what an antioxidant is, but does that do something good to your hair? For the other two, I think the word "no" just makes it seem like it's good. The picture is perfect though, with the hair perfectly shiny and curled in the right places

    ReplyDelete